Ten Simple Steps You Must Take After A Car Accident
Every day, we handle accident injury claims for people who never knew exactly what to do after a car accident. In many cases, they were unable to take the steps listed below because their injuries were too severe. However, if you know these steps ahead of time and follow those regarding medical care and insurance communications, your case for the full and fair compensation you deserve will likely be stronger.
Taking these steps after your car accident is a great help to your lawyer, who will be working diligently to gather evidence and investigate the circumstances of the crash. The sooner you contact our team, the sooner we can support you in seeing these steps through:
- Call the police right away if there are significant damages and injuries.
- If you are able, take pictures of the accident scene: positions of cars, street signs, debris on the road, injuries and damage to cars. Pictures could be used later as evidence, so get pictures that will be helpful to someone who was not at the scene.
- Get witness contact information, including a home address.
- Exchange insurance information with other drivers involved, if you are able.
- Get contact information from police officers, and follow up with them to obtain the police report of the accident.
- Do not refuse medical treatment or an ambulance ride. Your no-fault insurance benefits will cover initial medical expenses. It is in your best interests to get appropriate medical attention as quickly as possible. If you don’t, you may not be able to get no-fault benefits.
- Tell emergency responders and your doctor about everything that hurts. When the insurance company pays your bills, they will only pay for expenses that are officially documented.
- Call your auto insurance company to report the crash as soon as you are able. A no-fault insurance claim will not raise your premiums.
- Follow the medical treatment instructions your doctor prescribes. It is important to your case that you follow all instructions closely and that you go to necessary appointments. We will help you manage the costs.
- Call Atnip & Associates, PLLC, at 248-383-5949 to speak with one of our car accident lawyers. We will be with you every step of the way.
Our attorneys handle all personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis. We cover all legal costs for our clients until a settlement or jury award is reached.
We help accident victims and families throughout Michigan, from Rochester Hills and metro Detroit, to our Escanaba offices in the UP. Contact us for a free consultation today.