How can my uninsured motorist coverage help me if I’m in a crash?

On Behalf of | Jan 25, 2019 | No Fault Insurance |

According to Michigan’s Department of Insurance and Financial Services, every driver must provide their own no-fault automobile insurance policy that includes Personal Injury Protection (PIP), Property Protection Insurance (PPI) and Residual Liability or Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BI/PD) coverage. An optional type of insurance that Michigan residents may also purchase is Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) Coverage.

Although all motorists in Michigan are required to have insurance, many don’t take it out in hopes that they won’t become involved in an accident or because they think that they won’t get caught. In addition to having to pay a $500 fine or being ordered to serve as long as a year in jail for not having insurance, an individual who doesn’t have such coverage may also end up being sued civilly for any injuries another motorist ends up suffering.

Individuals who purchase UM or UIM coverage can protect both their right to compensation for medical costs if they’re involved in a crash with a motorist with little to no automobile insurance.

In order for a car crash victim to collect UM or UIM insurance benefits, they must be able to prove that the other motorist was at fault for the collision. If evidence can be produced to substantiate the other driver’s liability, then injured party may able to collect up to their full policy limits. Most UM or UIM policies are capped at $20,000 per individual or $40,000 per crash.

When you’ve been seriously injured in a crash, you may be left wondering how you’re going to make ends meet, especially if you’re drowning in medical bills and yet you’re so hurt that you’re unable to go to work to cover your expenses. An attorney can help you determine whether you have UM or UIM coverage and whether it can be tapped into to pay your mounting medical costs.

FindLaw Network

Connect With Us Tell Us About Your Legal Needs And Questions