One of the most difficult problems for law enforcement to solve is that of drunk driving. This is a problem that likely will never go away, so long as people continue to make bad decisions. Here are some tips for spotting a drunk driver on the roads of Michigan so you can proactively keep yourself out of a tragic situation.
There are plenty of different signs that potential drunk drivers give when operating a motor vehicle, but the following are some of the most common:
- Weaving in and out of traffic
- Driving at night without headlights
- Driving more than 10 mph under the posted speed limit
- Quick deceleration or acceleration
- Delayed start at a green light or delayed stop at a red light
- Inconsistent signaling
- Operating a vehicle on any surface not designated for motor vehicles
- Erratic braking
- Stopping for no reason
- Making abrupt or illegal turns
- Straddling the center lines
- Nearly striking other vehicles, objects, curbs or people
- Drifting out of the travel lane
If you spot a driver in Rochester exhibiting any of these signs, move as far away from them as possible. Do not attempt to pass the vehicle or get the driver to pull off the side of the road.
If it's safe, try to obtain a description of the vehicle to report it to the local authorities. This includes the make and model of the vehicle, along with the color, and the street name where the vehicle is located at the time of the 911 call.
Always know that not all drivers exhibiting these signs will be under the influence. They could be distracted or they could be driving with very little sleep.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident by a drunk driver, contact our firm to discuss your case and the next steps you can take to protect your rights.